One of the most common digestive problems faced by the majority of the Indian population is Acidity. Have you ever thought, what is acid reflux and how to relieve acidity symptoms? To get the answers, let us understand the cause of acid reflux, how food plays a role in it, and how we can manage the symptoms with lifestyle changes.
What is Acidity?
Acid reflux or acidity is commonly characterized by heartburn (pain felt in the lower chest area), caused by the backflow of stomach acids into the food pipe. The key contributing factors are unhealthy eating habits and poor lifestyle choices.
What are the common symptoms of Acid Reflux?
Although symptoms may vary from person to person, similar symptoms can be observed for both acidity and gas. Apart from heartburn or lower chest pain the following are the common symptoms.
• Burning sensation and pain in the stomach
• Burning sensation and pain in the throat
• Difficulty swallowing or the sensation of food being stuck in your throat
• Frequent burping or hiccups for no apparent reason
• Regurgitation: Prolonged sour taste in the mouth or bitter-tasting acid that backs up into your throat and mouth
• Bad breath
Food and lifestyle choices leading to Acidity
1. Faulty eating practices
• Skipping meals
• Late and heavy dinner
• Excess consumption of refines items High fat and high sugar-containing food (Fried food, pizza, bakery items)
• High salt and spicy food
• Low fiber in the daily diet (Lack of vegetable and fruit)
• Excess amount of caffeine (tea, coffee) and carbonated drinks
3. Effect of medication
• Nonsteroidal drugs & anti-inflammatory pills
• Anxiety medication & antidepressants
4. Lifestyle choices
• Improper sleep pattern
• Excessive stress
• Low physical activity
• Consumption of alcohol & cigarettes
Food to avoid in Acidity:
1. Fatty or fried foods
4. Carbonated beverages, such as soda
8. Citrus fruits
Treat the symptoms of Acidity with food
We always prefer to heal ourselves naturally rather than going medicine. The common home remedies are as follows.
• Cumin is a great remedy for acidity. Munch on some cumin or boil a teaspoon of cumin in a glass of water. Boil until the water is reduced to half. Drink it on an empty stomach.
• Ginger aids in digestion. Use ginger in your cooking or boil it in a glass of water, reduce to half glass, and consume the water.
• Coconut water: This tasty treat is known to soothe your stomach and the digestive system. Take at least two glasses a day.
• Fresh lime juice that is taken at least an hour before lunch helps to reduce the uneasiness caused by acidity.
• A glass of buttermilk after a spicy meal helps reduce the uneasiness as buttermilk contains lactic acid that normalizes the acidity in the stomach.
• Drink a glass of lukewarm water after every meal.
• Include banana, cucumber, and yogurt in your diet. They are known to give instant relief from acidity.
• Take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water every morning on an empty stomach.
• Drink at least two liters of water every day.
Lifestyle changes to cure and prevent acidity:
1. Avoid post-meal naps.
2. Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day.
3. Wear loose-fitting clothing to avoid pressure on your abdomen.
4. Lose excess weight.
5. Quit smoking.
6. Raise the head of your bed six to eight inches by placing wooden blocks under your bedposts. Bed risers are another option for doing this.
Top 10 Healthy Eating Habits to Teach Your Kids
Children can be easy to mould and pick up habits very soon unlike adults who are way too advanced in terms of spatial thinking and intellect. Here are top 10 healthy eating habits to teach your kids
6 Health Benefits of Cinnamon
Cinnamon Is High in Powerful Medicinal Properties. Here are 6 health benefits of cinnamon.
5 Delicious - healthy snacks for kids
Here is a list of kid-friendly snacks that are both healthy and delicious.
Everything you need to know about Acid Reflux(GERD)
Gastroesophageal reflux also called "acid reflux" occurs when the stomach contents back up into the esophagus and/or mouth. Occasional reflux is normal and can happen in healthy infants, children, and adults, most often after eating a meal.
8 Natural home remedies for upset stomach | NutriPal
Upset stomach, or indigestion, is usually no cause for concern. It is often possible to treat the symptoms using home remedies. Here are 8 of the most popular natural remedies for treating an upset stomach.
5 simple weight loss recipes | NutriPal
Five healthy meal prep recipes using the same ten fresh ingredients. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, these are easy and tasty weight loss meal prep ideas.